Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Guess What Is Coming Today?



A few months ago I posted about the untimely passing of iconic winemaker Didier Dagueneau, a crushing blow to the wine world but even more so to the many people, like myself that were touched by his immense spirit and gentle nature. I would not presume to call him a “friend” but the handful of times I met with him, ate with him and shared too many bottles of wine and Margaritas with him, to this day stand out as some of my favorites, and I consider myself lucky to have had even those few moments. His wines have for years been among my most beloved and I have had, with many friends some very profound wine geek sessions involving things like Pur Sang and Silex.



After recovering from the shot in the chest, ache in my gut and hours of tears upon hearing about his passing, I began to wonder what was going to happen with his wines, his estate and his legacy, I was devastated by the thought that not only might I never get to drink those wines again, but for the others that had yet to experience Sauvignon Blanc at its greatest, crushing. After recovering from his own devastation, (they were very close friends) importer, Michael Sullivan let us all know that Didier’s son Benjamin had been at Didier’s side for the past couple of years, and Didier had been in fact, training his son to someday take the helm….that day came sooner than anyone expected, or wanted but from all recent reports, (including a very detailed report with tasting notes from fellow blogger Peter Liem of Besotted Ramblings and Other Drivel. You can read about it here http://www.peterliem.com/2009_02_01_archive.html . and from Michael Sullivan himself) things are right on track and the wines are as brilliant as ever, very good news indeed.

I found out late last week that the 2007 vintage wines, (made by Didier and son Benjamin) are here and will be arriving this afternoon…hooray! The bad news, there is very little wine to have and in some cases, like with the Clos de Calvaire, (which is a 2006, Didier wanted to hold the wine back a year so it would be tasting its best upon release) we were only able to get 3 bottles…not cases, bottles. The other wines, like the Pur Sang and Buisson Renard, we only got 6 bottles, these wines tend to move quickly as it is, but with the passing of Didier I know they are going to move even faster, I even have a list of people waiting for a call when the wines arrive, so if you are looking to add a bottle or two of something to your collection or to just drink in the great man’s honor…you cannot wait, they will be gone….I assure you.
Prices are approximate as I have yet to receive the invoice (these are based on an email I was sent a month ago…so who knows)
2006 Dagueneau Clos De Calvaire $119.99
2007 Dagueneau Blanc Fume de Pouilly $64.99
2007 Dagueneau Buisson Renard $92.99
2007 Dagueneau Pur Sang $92.99
2007 Dagueneau Silex $112.99
2007 Dagueneau Sancerre Mont Damnes $114.99
Again prices are a guesstimate, so they may be higher or, (and I doubt this) lower but the supplies are sadly very limited.

2 comments:

vickibarkley said...

Man o Man! I talked to Deb, and she says, "Hell, reserve 5 bottles, Babe!"
So, in addition to the Silex and Renard that I already reserved, put me in for a Pur Sang, and one more each of the Silex and Renard.
Yay!!

Samantha Dugan said...

Vicki,
Man am I glad you posted, I just got your text and was wondering where I should write myself the note to remember to do it in the morning...putting here will remind me!
I was looking, (read fondling) the bottles all afternoon, still not sure how much I can/should buy...I mean, I want our customers to get some too! I keep hoping the crappy economy will have other retailers passing on their allocation, (yeah, I'm dreaming) so I can scoop up some more. Like that Sancerre, I've never even had that one before....haunting.