Friday, May 11, 2012

Taking A Walk On The Wild Side....



You ever have one of those moments when you find yourself completely captivated for reasons you are unfamiliar with, unsure about, slightly suspicious of but the intrigue, the excitement and the racing of your heart are just way too thrilling…..enchanting to ignore? Like you’re sitting at a table surrounded by things and people that flow so gently. The conversation congenial and not unlike those you’ve had at dinner parties hundreds of times before. The food simple but lovely, the wines in varying shades and flavors, all with a voice you’ve grown to recognize and feel comfortable with, the mood delightfully at ease, your confidence high as you slip into and flourish in this oh-so-comfortable setting like moving about the dance floor with a trusted hand pressed against the small of your back, bending you this way and that, giving you a spin before pulling you back, close and tight to the chest. You move about the room stopping for short visits, the “Hey do you remember that time we_______?” stories bringing the pleasant grin of memories, faces, bottles and platters long ago devoured. 



The night pours along, plates and dishes robbed of each last morsel, removed and more bottles placed on the table. Another glass of delicious familiarity breaking past your lips, spreading across your palate and landing like a gentle sigh in your waiting stomach. That tingly warm feeling of satisfied satiation snuggling into your bones as you look across the room and your eyes fall upon a face you’re not quite sure you’ve seen before. Sitting not alone but not tucked into a buzzing group of partygoers, your brows burring down on your eyelids and you strain to get a better look, struggle for recognition. The spins on the proverbial dance floor leaving you just light-headed enough to move closer. Your gate slow and methodical as you pace yourself, flipping through the rolodex of faces, names, parties, voices…none of them giving you the slightest flicker or spark of clarity. Rim of the glass resting on your lips as you take another long sip, the face across the room getting closer with each step, now making eye contact and without words summoning you. Your heart now rattling away in your chest, heat moving up your neck, the thrill of an unknown flirtation stretching your legs….guiding you. Your “I think I know you” gaze met with an outstretched hand and a, “No, you don’t….but you will” look that reaches inside your body and pulls you even closer. The brush of new flesh against your palm, a mouth you can’t take your eyes off of, a voice so different and exotic that silences anything, everything and everyone else around you….fuck I love those moments.



2009 Salinia Robinia Lake County Sauvignon Blanc
Found myself running through a box of samples that were dropped off last week. The bottles nearly empty after a day of being shown all over LA, the sales rep long gone, labels I’d never seen but varieties I’ve come to know like the back of my hand….or so I thought. Yanked the tired looking cork from the bottle of Sauvignon Blanc, poured the wine and was immediately knocked off my, “I think I know you” chair when I saw the color. Not “orange” as much as deep, rich and golden. The liquid sitting in my glass didn’t leap when I gave the glass a spin, it was more of a cool ass sachet, a sensual oozing as this thick bodied wine slowly crept up the sides of the glass and settled back on to itself….captivated. 



I slowly brought the uncommon wine to my nose, a skeptic’s tilted head and distrusting raised left eyebrow as I leaned in. The rattling in my chest, that thumping of my heart began the second the aromatics pounced from the glass and seemingly grabbed me by the throat, in a good way. My teeth firmly digging into the flesh of my bottom lip, the insides of my mouth watering, curiously aching to take this stranger in. The voice that slid across my tongue causing my head to spin, throat to open and silencing everything around me, as if the room had emptied and it was just me and my sexy stranger, alone and exploring one another…

I know Sauvignon Blanc. I am wildly in love with Sauvignon Blanc but this, this is a whole other creature and it possess a wild, untamed, unpolished, raw sensuality unlike any I’ve ever tasted before. A depth, complexity and indescribable desirability that feels like that wine’s teeth are still biting into the base of my neck. One case. We got in one case yesterday and me and my thick bodied, oily textured, pant-inducing new lover…..we have the whole night, this wondering soul and this willing mouth to spend it in. 



Counting down the seconds…..  

For particulars click here http://www.thewinecountry.com/pc/0000000106894/CalSauvignon/Salinia+2009+Robinia+Sauvignon+Blanc.html       

14 comments:

Ron Washam, HMW said...

My Gorgeous Love,

"Robinia" is the botanical name of the tree used to make Acacia barrels in the Pyrenees mountains (Robinia pseudoacacia). Acacia tends to impart a very golden color to Sauvignon Blanc, so I'm wondering if this wine was fermented or aged in Acacia barrels.

Not sure it matters, just wondering. And, now, of course, I need to get my hands on it. The wine, I mean.

It's so great when you write about a wine that really grabs you. Makes me want to tango with this Sauvignon Blanc. I'm known for my tango skills--well, at least I'm often thought of as a dip.

I love you!

Samantha Dugan said...

Ron My Love,
The wine is indeed aged for 28 months in large Acacia barrels and it shows all over the wild aromatics of this wine. I'm currently trying to get our domestic buyer to fill in the particulars on our website so I can include a link for those that might be curious....kind of like trying to herd pudding, but I'm working on it.

Oh sure, you want to get your hands on the SB, what about the SD?! I love you too Sweet Man.

The Duchess of Paso Robles said...

Christ, you made my mouth water and wish I'd known about this last night during my shopping spree.

I will just have to come in and get some.

Anonymous said...

Too funny. Once you knew it was me, then you sounded like you again! Can't wait to share one of these bottles with you!

John M. Kelly said...

If you like the Salinia Lake Co SB that Kevin Kelley is making you would LOVE the RRV SB he does under his NPA label - except you can't get it. He "bottles" it in reusable Kleen Kanteens and only delivers it within 100 miles of the winery. And yes he's using 500L acacia (aka black locust) puncheons to age these gems. The NPA pinot gris is also wonderful, but his Sunhawk red blend would blow your freaking mind.

Samantha Dugan said...

Selyndria,
Seemed like you had your hands full with other stuff last night!

ADoC,
Yeah sure break my bawls, you didn't sound like you either when you called...all proper and shit. See you next weekend girlie, can't wait!

John,
I'd be curious to try those again. I did taste them, actually on the trip where I came up to meet you for the first time. I thought the NPR wines were a bit too "orange" for me...too much tannin for my liking but this sexy little wine, just sultry and so beguiling...

Val said...

Sexy-ass Sauv Blancs coming out of CA right now - and that Acacia Barrel tidbit is even further intriguing. Want. Noted. Thank you *drool*

Samantha Dugan said...

Val,
Well for some reason we pretty much blew through the one case we had....today. Unreal. We did hop on the phone with the sales rep and were able to nab another 3 cases that will arrive next week, give me a call girlie and I can ship you some. This is one you are going to want to try, trust me.

webb said...

When my heartbeat slows down, I'll go see if I can find any on the east coast. sounds amazing. I'll have what you're having!

webb said...

Just read the description. Doubt that of 91 cases any made their way in this direction. But... i will look for acacia in the barrel descriptions. Maybe get an idea of what it's like.

Samantha Dugan said...

webb,
Yeah, doubting you will be able to find that wine out your way, but once again, I do happen to work at a shop that not only carried that sexy beast of a wine, but we ship! So do keep that in mind....truly wild and compelling wine.

Samantha Dugan said...

Carries, not carried....duh.

Joe said...

Had you had any Salinia wines before? Pretty intriguing stuff. I always smuggle some back East when I'm out there.

Samantha Dugan said...

Joe,
I had not. Got to taste both the Robinia and the red blend that afternoon, both were remarkably intriguing wines but, it was the Sauvignon Blanc that drove me wild. Continues to do so...