Thursday, December 8, 2011

Scandal-less





Hey, I got a question. Why the hell is anyone acting as if the Jay Miller "scandal" is any kind of scandal at all? Isn't this the same dude that got his palms, (and maybe other parts....ewe) greased, or at the very least "sticky" in Australia a while back? What, and now everyone is all shocked.....again? My favorite part is anyone acting as if this shit right here makes any difference.



Parker supporters will continue to support the dude, already hearing all the "I never liked that Miller guy anyway" chatter amongst the devoted Advocates, and the people that get their rocks off bashing Parker, for whatever reason, are having a few moments of taunt time before this scandal-less scandal goes back to being the nothing it was before. 




Look, I don't read Parker's publication, never have. I don't care for his palate, never have but I've no bone to pick with the dude. If there is one thing that bugs me it is that he is/was so influential that many of my beloved French wines, (Rhone, I am SO looking at You) shifted, oaked, pushed ripeness levels and such to please his palate. His fault? Oh sure, it's fun to blame him, and lets be honest, he is kind of demonic looking and what not, but the sad truth of the matter is he moved a shitload of wine with a wave of his powerful pen. Period. Wineries, no matter how romantic we like to believe, need to sell wine and many of them did and do whatever it takes to do so. To hate Robert Parker for anything just makes him far too important to me and for me, well he just isn't. I don't use his words or numbers to buy or sell wine so this Jay Miller chatter is just that, more chatter and another way for us wine people to argue. Meh, not interested, thanks.



Now the real news is come tomorrow morning my Los Angeles Lakers may be a very different team! And I say this as a lifelong Lakers fan, no, I'm not saying it I'm begging for it. I had to suffer through the Rambis and Mark Madsen years, loyal and devoted as ever so please, just this once, can you get me some of this...



To look at?! I-am-just-sayin'
Fingers crossed.
Me 

6 comments:

Ron Washam said...

My Gorgeous Samantha,

I have been reading "The Devil's Dictionary" by Ambrose Bierce of late, and I laughed out loud at this definition, written circa 1900,

"CRITIC, n. A person who boasts himself hard to please because nobody tries to please him."

A lot of wisdom there.

All Parker ever did was express his opinion. That he accumulated power, and winemakers all over the world chased the almighty dollar instead of integrity, well, that flat out ain't his fault. Live by the 100 point scale, die by the 100 point scale. Be angry at your beloved Rhone producers and wine importers. It isn't like Parker forced them to change their styles. That assigns him far too much power, which is what was the problem all along.

As to the Poodles who are yelping with joy and schadenfreude at Parker's embarrassment, I find it much more meaningful and accurate to read their questions to Parker in my best Munchkin voice. Try it. Read Blake Gray like that. It all starts to make sense...

Speaking of which, I keep telling everybody Parker is dead anyway, and Jay Miller is proof that his EEG is flatter than sales of $80 Cabernet. However, and maybe worse, Jancis Robinson is an apparent suicide after hiring Alder Yarrow.

And aren't the Lakers the Parker of the NBA? Everybody hates their scores.

Despite your love of basketball...

I love you!

Samantha Dugan said...

Ron My Love,
I do loves me some basketball AND you!

Anonymous said...

Hey There!

Wondering how you'll connect wine with Dwight coming to the Lakers.

So excited! What a season this is going to be: Nash, Kobe, Pau, Dwight, Artest. It looks to be fun again!

-William

Samantha Dugan said...

William,
Nearly peed last night when I heard! Not only good for the eyes but it's looking like a bit of a dream team. Come on basketball season!!

Anonymous said...

It was funny. I was cleaning out the garage last night, listening to ESPN radio, as the story started to break and though I was excited to keep listening one of the first things I wondered is what you would have to say about it and somehow connect it to drinking wine.

So I wait ... (no pressure!)

-William

Samantha Dugan said...

William,
That is so stinking adorable! I had forgotten about this post and am still wondering how you found it. I was out with friends at a restaurant in Costa Mesa last night when the story broke and it was all I could do not to scream...or make one of those girlie squeely sounds. I hadn't thought of how to connect this news to wine but now my adorable friend, you've got me thinking....